Red Sox’ Eduardo Rodriguez, Bobby Dalbec Test Positve for COVID-19

Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez and first/third baseman Bobby Dalbec have tested positive for COVID-19, manager Ron Roenicke announced Tuesday.

Per Roenicke, Rodriguez is feeling better and still believes he can be ready for the start of the 2020 season.

“Rodriguez wants to be ready for Opening Day but we’ll have to see how it goes,” the Sox skipper told reporters via Zoom. “The medical team will follow him, give him instructions.”

For the time being, the 27-year-old will remain at home in Miami, where he was orginally exposed to the virus, before traveling to Boston.

As for Dalbec, Boston’s top power-hitting prospect had yet to work out with the team at Fenway Park for the start of Summer Camp, and now we know why that is.

By testing positive for COVID-19, Rodriguez and Dalbec join left-handers Darwinzon Hernandez and Josh Taylor as Red Sox players who have contracted the virus. There could still be additional players who have tested positive, but these four have given permission to the Red Sox for their names to be revealed to the public.

According to MLB’s COVID-19 testing protocols, “Players testing positive must quarantine for two weeks and then must be free of symptoms and test negative twice before rejoining their clubs.”

Red Sox’ Nathan Eovaldi to Pitch in Intrasquad Game on Thursday, Could Start on Opening Day Depending on Eduardo Rodriguez’s Status

Red Sox right-hander Nathan Eovaldi has impressed thus far at Summer Camp. The 30-year-old tossed a three-inning simulated game at Fenway Park on Saturday where he threw about 45 pitches.

In that sim game, Eovaldi faced Alex Verdugo, Jonathan Lucroy, Connor Wong, and Jett Bandy and utilized his pitch mix effectively, according to Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke.

“The stuff was great,” Roenicke said of Eovaldi on Saturday. “The cutter was good, the slider, the curveball. Threw some really good split-fingers and the velocity was there on his fastball. He got what he needed to do today.”

In terms of velocity, the flame-throwing Eovaldi topped out at about 100 MPH on the radar gun with his fastball. His next outing will likely come in a five-inning intrasquad game at Fenway on Thursday.

Taking that date into account, Eovaldi would be lined up to start for Boston on Openinf Day 2.0 on July 24th. That being said, Roenicke and the Red Sox still expect left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez, who has been at home in Florida awaiting the results of his COVID-19 test, to get the starting nod on that day.

As mentioned by MassLive.com’s Chris Cotillo, Roenicke has been noncommittal on who his Opening Day starter will be to this point. Rodriguez was expected to handle the duty prior to MLB suspending spring training back in March, but his status for the start of the 2020 season is now up in the air due to potential exposure to the coronavirus.

If Eovaldi’s impressive run continues on Thursday while Rodriguez is still absent from camp, Roenicke might not have any choice other than to name the Houston native his Opening Day starter. We’ll have to wait and see on that.

 

Red Sox Left-Handers Darwinzon Hernandez and Josh Taylor Test Positive for COVID-19

Left-handers Darwinzon Hernandez and Josh Taylor have tested positive for COVID-19, Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke announced earlier Saturday.

Per Roenicke, Taylor tested positive during intake screening at Fenway Park earlier this week and is currently isolated from the team at a hotel in Boston. Hernandez, meanwhile, tested positive while at home in Venezuela and has yet to report to Fenway for the start of Summer Camp.

Also worth noting, Roenicke declined to comment on whether either pitcher was exhibiting coronavirus symptoms, but he did say that Taylor “is a little bit further ahead in terms of when he contracted the virus.

Because of their positive tests, both Hernandez and Taylor may have to miss the start of the 2020 season, which would be a significant blow to Roenicke and the Red Sox bullpen considering how effective the pair of left-handed hurlers were for Boston in their rookie campaigns last year.

There could be even more Red Sox players who have tested positive for COVID-19. As MassLive.com’s Chris Cotillo notes, the only reason Roencike was able to name Hernandez and Taylor on Saturday was because both pitchers gave him permission to. The team is also awaiting the results of Eduardo Rodriguez’s test.

Red Sox’ Eduardo Rodriguez May Have Been Exposed to Coronavirus While at Home in Florida

Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez may have been exposed to COVID-19 while at home in Miami, according to manager Ron Roenicke.

The 27-year-old hurler has yet to report to Red Sox Summer Camp at Fenway Park for this very reason, and as things stand right now, him and the team are awaiting the results of his coronavirus test.

Per Roenicke, the Sox have already had “some positive tests” for COVID-19, although he could not specify the specif number of positive tests due to protocols put in place by Major League Baseball.

Regarding Rodriguez, the Boston skipper said via Zoom Friday that , “Eduardo didn’t come in today, and the reason being is that he was at home and was around somebody that was sick. He wanted to just make sure he was fine. We have tested him. We don’t have the results back yet. When we get those results, obviously, you’ll know.”

As the Red Sox embarked on the first official day of Summer Camp workouts to kick off the weekend, it has become abundantly clear that the team is doing everything in their power to promote proper social distancing procedures at Fenway.

A good number of players across MLB have already tested positive for COVID-19 and more positive tests are likely on the way, too.

For Rodriguez, a positive test coming back presumably means that the Venezuela native would not be able to report to Summer Camp at Fenway for at least another two-plus weeks.

Red Sox Manager Ron Roenicke on Nathan Eovaldi: ‘He Probably Would Be Ready for a Season in a Week’

Before MLB spring training was suspended in mid-March due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Red Sox right-hander Nathan Eovaldi was putting together an impressive string of exhibition outings leading into what would have been his second full season in Boston.

Over three starts spanning 12 innings of work, the 30-year-old hurler had yet to surrender a run while scattering just four hits and one walk to go along with 12 strikeouts against 29 total batters faced.

It was just Grapefruit League play, sure, but in the midst of Chris Sale undergoing season-ending Tommy John surgery and David Price being dealt to the Dodgers, a resurgent Eovaldi would have been a welcome sight for a Red Sox pitching staff with plenty of holes.

Five days after his start against the Blue Jays in Fort Myers, spring training sites across Florida and Arizona were shut down due to the aforementioned pandemic, and players were allowed to go back home, where they would have to stay prepared for the 2020 season on their own outside of phone/video conference calls with their respective coaching staffs.

Flash forward from March to where things stand right now, and Red Sox pitchers and catchers, along with the rest of the team, are ready to report to Fenway Park on Wednesday for ‘Summer Camp,’ as it has been dubbed by MLB.

When speaking with reporters via Zoom on Wednesday, Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke provided some updates on his pitching staff, which included the fact that guys like Eovaldi, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Martin Perez have already begun to ramp up their workloads while at home these past few weeks.

“You look at guys like Nate Eovaldi and what he’s done so far, “Roenicke said. “He probably would be ready for a season in a week.”

It’s unclear whether Roenicke meant a 60-game or 162-game season, but it still an encouraging update pertaining to an important member of the Red Sox’ starting rotation nonetheless.

After signing a four-year, $68 million deal to stay in Boston two Decembers ago, Eovaldi struggled to stay on the field at times in 2019.

Last April, after just four starts, the Houston native required surgery to remove loose bodies in his right elbow, a procedure that cost him just about four months of the season.

Upon his return to the Red Sox as a reliever in late July, Eovaldi proved mostly ineffective out of the bullpen, as he posted an ERA above five over 11 appearances before closing out the season as a starter once more from August 18th on.

Due to his contract and lackluster 2019 campaign, Eovaldi has drawn the ire of many a Red Sox fan.

The 2020 season may be a truncated one, but if healthy, the flame throwing Eovaldi could prove his doubters wrong and emerge as a key cog on an overlooked Red Sox pitching staff.

What to Expect From Red Sox as MLB Roster Freeze Ends on Friday

Rosters across Major League Baseball have been frozen since late March. That freeze will end at noon eastern time on Friday.

Minor transactions have still taken place over the past few months, but beginning on Friday, clubs will have the chance to pick up where they left off earlier in the year in terms of roster construction ahead of a truncated 60-game season that begins in late July.

Prior to the roster freeze, the Red Sox were quite busy making some moves themselves with chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom at the helm.

Officially speaking, major-league transactions across baseball ceased on March 27th. Right before that, Boston made a few somewhat notable moves, such as acquiring minor-league catcher Jhonny Perada from the Cubs, signing former Cardinals utilityman Yairo Munoz to a minor-league contract, and optioning relievers Jeffrey Springs and Josh Osich to Triple-A Pawtucket, Colten Brewer to Double-A Portland, and Chris Mazza to High-A Salem.

By the last week of July, Bloom and Co. will have to narrow a pool of 60 players down to 30 ahead of a modified version of Opening Day on July 23rd or 24th, so it’s likely that plenty of roster shuffling is to come beginning on Friday afternoon.

On top of that, the Sox were involved in a handful of trade rumors prior to the roster freeze as well.

More specifically, talks between the Red Sox and Padres surrounding outfielder Wil Myers seemed to be heat up after Boston dealt Mookie Betts to the Dodgers in February.

Per The San Diego Union-Tribune’s Kevin Acee, the Sox were interested in acquiring touted prospects like Cal Quantrill or Luis Campusano from the Padres in exchange for taking on a portion of the $61 million owed to the 29-year-old Myers over the next three seasons.

According to WEEI’s Rob Bradford, though, “no trades involving the Red Sox were ‘imminent’ at the time MLB put a freeze on all transactions on March 27.”

March 27th was nearly three months ago, so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities to assume that some GMs might have some moves lined up for when the roster freeze does finally end.

That being said, when I “spoke” to Bloom via e-mail last week, he stated that during this long layoff, he has “continued to speak to counterparts and contacts throughout the game, but not to discuss trades or roster moves.”

Another aspect of the business side of the game that will return on Friday are contract extensions.

Prior to the pandemic-induced shutdown, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported in late February that “teams across baseball are trying to lock up pre-arbitration players to multi-year contracts that buy out free agent years.”

Outside of some rumors pertaining to Rafael Devers last fall, the Red Sox really weren’t linked to any other players on the roster who could be due for an extension before the shutdown.

Andrew Benintendi agreed to a two-year contract extension in early February, but that only buys out two of the 25-year-old’s three years of arbitration eligibility.

Other than Devers, Brandon Workman, who will become a free agent after the 2020 season, and Eduardo Rodriguez, who will become a free agent after the 2021 season, are certainly prime candidates.

Long story short, just about everything I mentioned above can be summarized in this one tweet from noted exceptional Twitter follow @RedSoxStats:

See you at 12 PM eastern time on Friday.

 

Red Sox’ Eduardo Rodriguez Finishes With Worst Record in Inaugural ‘MLB the Show’ Players League Season

The inaugural ‘MLB The Show Players League’ season might not conclude until Wednesday night, but Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez has already secured the league’s worst record.

Having already “played” all 29 other players representing their respective clubs, the 27-year-old finishes the year with an unsightly 2-27 mark.

I put “played” in quotes because, in all honesty, it appears that Rodriguez gave up about halfway through the season.

Take this excerpt from MLB.com’s Juan Toribio weekly league power rankings column from last Friday:

“Where’s E-Rod” was the popular question today as the Red Sox starter has apparently given up. After watching his first 10 games, we can’t really blame him. We’ll miss the Eduardo Rodriguez background on his stream, though.

The background in question:

Rodriguez’s lone pair of victories came against the Angels’ Ty Buttrey and the Pirates’ Cole Tucker. Other than that, pain.

Still, just by participating, the Venezuela native essentially raised $5,000 for a local Boys & Girls club in the Boston area courtesy of Major League Baseball, the MLBPA, and Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Rodriguez has been fairly active on Twitch over these past few weeks, mostly playing Fortnite with Xander Bogaerts. You can follow Rodriguez on the popular streaming platform here.

As for where things stand with the remainder of the ‘MLB The Show Players League’ season, there are two more games remaining, one between the Astros’ Lance McCullers and the Yankees’ Tommy Kahnle, and the other between the White Sox’ Lucas Giolito and the Reds’ Amir Garrett.

Both of those contests will take place at 10 PM eastern time on Wednesday on ESPN2, while the playoffs are slated to kick off this coming Friday.

Red Sox’ Eduardo Rodriguez Has Another Tough Night in ‘MLB The Show’ Players League

Four days after finally picking up his first MLB The Show Players League win this past Tuesday, Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez improved to 2-10 in league-play on Saturday after another 1-3 night.

Rodriguez was initially supposed to play on Friday and Saturday, but he was not available to play to kick off the weekend, so he will presumably have to make those games up at some point.

Regarding Saturday’s performance, the Venezuela native got his night started in disappointing fashion, as he blew a late 5-1 lead to the Cardinals’ Matt Carpenter in what would turn out to be a whopping 11-5 defeat.

From there, Rodriguez’s interleague woes ensued in Philadelphia, as he was kept of the board by Phillies slugger Rhys Hoskins in a 2-0 loss.

Fortunately, Rodriguez was able to rebound against another Pennsylvania-based club in the Pittsburgh Pirates, represented by shortstop Cole Tucker.

Using himself as the Sox’ starting pitcher for this contest, which was pretty fascinating to watch, Rodriguez yielded one run over one lone inning of work. An effort good enough to earn him his first winning decision of the season in an eventual 3-2 victory.

Finally, Rodriguez was held to just one hit in another shutout loss at the hands of Padres phenom Fernando Tatis Jr. Not much to say there.

All in all, the 27-year-old now owns a 2-10 record through 12 games played this season. With only 17 more games remaining before the postseason begins, Rodriguez certainly has his work cut out for him, which has already been mentioned on here before.

Rodriguez’s next set of games are scheduled to take place on Tuesday night, where he’ll take on the Rockies’ David Dahl, the Giants’ Hunter Pence, and the Yankees’ Tommy Kahnle. First pitch that day is scheduled for around 9 PM eastern time.

You can follow Rodriguez on Twitch here.

Red Sox’ Eduardo Rodriguez Picks up First ‘MLB The Show’ Players League Win

After starting the MLB The Show Players League season with four consecutive losses out of the gate last Friday, Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez picked up his first win of the year in the first game he played on Tuesday night.

Headed into his second round of games having yet to score a single run, Rodriguez was first matched up against former Sox pitching prospect Ty Buttrey, who was representing the Los Angeles Angels.

Three innings, which is the standard length of game in this league, was not enough to determine a winner, so the two hurlers headed into extras deadlocked in a scoreless tie.

It wasn’t until the top half of the fifth inning when Rodriguez finally got on the board. There, controlling Mitch Moreland, he took Angels reliever Justin Anderson deep to dead center to break the stalemate.

A few moments later, Rodriguez again went yard with another left-handed hitter, this time mashing a two-run no-doubter off Anderson with Rafael Devers.

That two-run blast put Rodriguez and the Sox up 3-0, and after giving one back in the bottom half of the fifth, Matt Barnes was able to hold on to pick up the save in a 3-1 victory.

Rodriguez was finally able to get in the win column, but unfortunately, the rest of his night did not go as well.

That being the case because in the game immediately following the win over the Angels, the 27-year-old choked away a six-run lead against Rangers star Joey Gallo and ultimately got walked off on in the bottom half of the third inning in what would turn out to be a devastating 7-6 defeat. Gallo is 8-0, by the way.

From there, Rodriguez’s woes continued in a pair of home losses to Braves reliever Luke Jackson and Marlins reliever Ryne Stanek.

A night that started with so much promise ended in somber disappointment, and at 1-7, Rodriguez currently sits at the bottom of the league standings.

The Venezuela native now has 21 games remaining on the season and has plenty of ground to make up. He’s scheduled to play again on Friday night, where he will take on the Mets’ Jeff McNeil, the Tigers’ Niko Goodrum, the White Sox’ Lucas Giolito, and the Mariners’ Carl Edwards Jr.

First pitch Friday is scheduled for around 9 PM eastern time. You can follow Rodriguez on Twitch here.

Red Sox’ Eduardo Rodriguez Has Tough First Go of Things in ‘MLB The Show’ Players League Opening Night

Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez was one of six players who kicked off the MLB The Show Players League on Friday night, and he had the worst showing of them all, unfortunately.

Yes, the 27-year-old lost all four games he played in on Friday, all while failing to score a single run in the process of doing so.

Rodriguez fell to Rays left-hander Blake Snell by a final score of 6-0, Astros right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. by a final score of 7-0, Reds left-hander Amir Garrett by a final score of 1-0, and Twins right-hander Trevor May by a final score of 3-0. All pitcher vs. pitcher matchups, and Rodriguez got outscored 17-0 over 12 total innings when all was said and done.

Despite starting the Players League season 0-4, Rodriguez still has 25 games ahead of him over the next three weeks or so. The top eight players advance to the postseason, which is scheduled to begin at the end of April, so a tough first night shouldn’t hamper the Venezuela native’s chances too much at this point.

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe Rodriguez’s next set of games will come on Tuesday night, although the league’s schedule only goes as far as Monday as this is being typed.

In the meantime, you can follow Rodriguez on Twitch here.