In case you missed it from earlier, the Red Sox officially shut down left-hander David Price for the remainder of the 2019 season on Wednesday.
Sox manager Alex Cora speculated that would happen when speaking with media on Tuesday, saying that, “Honestly, it feels like we’re going to shut him down. We have to go through the whole process and see how David feels about it and the medical staff. Most likely, we’ll make a final decision tomorrow.”
Per Cora, him and Price met with the club’s medical staff prior to opening up a three-game series against the San Francisco Giants on Tuesday, and less than a full day later, a final decision has been made.
The 34-year-old Price had been shelved since the beginning of the month after being scratched from his start against the New York Yankees on September 6th.
“We’re going to see what’s going on with his cyst and actually check his wrist,” said Cora on Wednesday. “If there’s something else, we’ll take care of that. If there’s something going on. I think it’s a head start to next year. It’s a smart thing to do.”
In 22 starts this season, Price posted an ERA of 4.28 and batting average against of .258 over 107 1/3 innings pitched. The Red Sox went 10-12 in those games.
Those numbers regressed coming out of the All-Star break, possibly highlighting when the Tennessee native’s left wrist became more of a pressing issue.
Price did receive a cortisone shot to try and remove a TFCC cyst from that left wrist back on August 8th, but was only able to make one start following that procedure, which came on September 1st when he tosses two scoreless innings against the Los Angeles Angels.
Speaking of procedures, Cora also said Wednesday that, “Whenever [the doctors] decide if they have to do that (a procedure), they’ll probably do it before the season ends,” Something to keep an eye out for.