Red Sox place Rafael Devers on 10-day injured list with right hamstring inflammation, call up Jaylin Davis from Triple-A Worcester; Kiké Hernández transferred to 60-day injured list

The Red Sox have placed third baseman Rafael Devers on the 10-day injured list with right hamstring inflammation. In a pair of corresponding moves, outfielder Jaylin Davis had his contract selected from Triple-A Worcester while utility man Enrique Hernandez was transferred from the 10- to the 60-day injured list, the club announced prior to Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays at Fenway Park.

Devers sustained his hamstring injury in Friday night’s 28-5 loss to Toronto. It may have happened during his final at-bat when he lined out to left field for the second out of the fifth inning, but he also looked uncomfortable while running out a double off Blue Jays starter Kevin Gausman in the bottom of the first.

“He says he felt it in the swing (final at-bat). If you see him running the bases on the first one, the double, he didn’t look too good rounding first,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora told reporters (including MassLive.com’s Christopher Smith) on Saturday. “I guess he kept grinding. There was a swing and he grabbed it. I was like, ‘Are you OK?’ He was like, ‘Nah.’”

Devers, who started last Tuesday’s All-Star Game in Los Angeles, missed a handful of games earlier this month because of lower back pain and a sore right hamstring. The 25-year-old slugger currently leads the Red Sox in several offensive categories, including hits (113), home runs (22), runs scored (62), batting average (.324), slugging percentage (.602), and OPS (.981).

It is unclear how much time Devers will miss because of his inflamed right hamstring. He will be eligible to come off the injured list when the Red Sox are in Houston on August 2. In the meantime, Davis will take his place on the major-league roster.

Davis, 28, appeared in two games for Boston in late April/early May, going 2-for-4 with two singles and two strikeouts. The right-handed hitter was designated for assignment on May 14 but cleared waivers and was outrighted to Worcester. Since then, he has batted .242/.358/.385 (105 wRC+) with four home runs, 12 RBIs, and 25 runs scored in his last 47 games (190 plate appearances) with the WooSox.

The Red Sox were able to open a spot on their 40-man roster by transferring Hernandez to the 60-day injured list. The versatile 30-year-old has been sidelined with a right hip flexor strain since June 8 and is now not eligible to return to action until August 7.

Boston’s 40-man roster is now at full capacity. Another spot will need to be created once rookie right-hander Josh Winckowski is ready to be activated from the COVID-19 related injured list.

(Picture of Rafael Devers: Maddie Malhotra/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)

Author: Brendan Campbell

Blogging about the Boston Red Sox since April '17. Also support Tottenham Hotspur.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: