Rafael Devers is out of the Red Sox lineup for a second straight day due to lower back soreness and a sore right hamstring, manager Alex Cora said prior to Wednesday’s series finale against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Per MassLive.com’s Chris Cotillo, Devers first went into Cora’s office following Monday’s win over Tampa Bay and asked to have Tuesday’s game off. While the 25-year-old third baseman will start Wednesday’s contest on the bench, he will be available to pinch-hit if needed, Cora said.
Devers has appeared in 78 of Boston’s first 81 games this season. The left-handed-hitting slugger comes into play Wednesday sporting a .327/.387/.579 slash line to go along with 17 home runs, 46 RBIs, and 57 runs scored across 78 games (347 plate appearances) so far this year.
In Devers’ place, Christian Arroyo will be making his second straight start at third base while batting eighth. Since returning from the COVID-19 related injured list on June 24, Arroyo has gone 8-for-18 (.444) with one double, one home run, three RBIs, and four runs scored over his last six games.
Jarren Duran will get the start in center field and lead off, Christian Vazquez will bat second and start at catcher, designated hitter J.D. Martinez is batting out of the three-hole, Xander Bogaerts, Alex Verdugo, and Trevor Story make up the middle third of the lineup, Franchy Cordero starts at first base, and Jackie Bradley Jr. rounds it out in right field.
Making his highly-anticipated major-league debut on Wednesday will be Brayan Bello, who is widely regarded as the top pitching prospect in Boston’s farm system. The 23-year-old rookie will be opposed by fellow right-hander Corey Kluber for Tampa Bay.
The Red Sox have a chance to earn their first series win of the season over an American League East opponent on Wednesday night. First pitch from Fenway Park is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. eastern time on NESN.
(Picture of Rafael Devers: Sarah Stier/Getty Images)