Red Sox place Danny Santana on COVID-19 related injured list, recall Franchy Cordero from Triple-A Worcester

The Red Sox have placed infielder/outfielder Danny Santana on the COVID-19 related injured list, the club announced before taking on the Indians at Fenway Park on Sunday afternoon.

Outfielder Franchy Cordero was recalled from Triple-A Worcester to take Santana’s spot on the active roster.

Santana joins right-hander Nick Pivetta as the 10th and 11th players the Sox have had to place on the COVID-19 related injured list since last Friday.

According to MassLive.com’s Christopher Smith, Santana has yet to test positive for the virus — though he is exhibiting symptoms.

Pivetta, on the other hand, has been vaccinated against COVID-19, as he previously spent one day on the COVID IL back in May due to side effects from the vaccination.

Earlier in the day, Red Sox manager Alex Cora told reporters (including Smith) that the 28-year-old hurler, who was scheduled to start Sunday’s series finale, has not necessarily tested positive for COVID.

“It’s one of those where we have to be very cautious,” Cora said in regards to Pivetta’s status. “As you guys know with testing and all that, sometimes the results doesn’t match up. So out of precaution, we did it. We’ll know more today or tomorrow morning.”

Red Sox pitching prospect Kutter Crawford had his contract selected from Worcester to start in Pivetta’s place for what was his major-league debut on Sunday.

With Santana and Pivetta being placed on the COVID IL, they join the likes of Enrique Hernandez, Christian Arroyo, Martin Perez, Matt Barnes, Hirokazu Sawamura, Josh Taylor, Xander Bogaerts, Yairo Munoz, and Jarren Duran.

Hernandez, Arroyo, Perez, Barnes, Sawamura, Bogaers, Munoz, and Duran — as well as quality control coach Ramon Vazquez and strength and conditioning coach Kiyoshi Momose — have all tested positive, while Taylor and first base coach Tom Goodwin were identified as close contacts.

As a result of Santana being placed on the COVID IL, the Red Sox called a familiar face in Cordero back up from Worcester.

Across two prior stints with Boston this season, Cordero has slashed an underwhelming .189/.237/.260 with just one home run, six doubles, nine RBI, 12 runs scored, one stolen base, eight walks, and 51 strikeouts over 47 games and 136 total plate appearances.

Since being optioned last month, the recently-turned 27-year-old hit .240/.377/.400 (117 wRC+) to go along with one homer, five doubles, 10 RBI, 13 runs scored, two stolen bases, eight walks, and 17 strikeouts over 14 games (61 plate appearances) in his most recent stay with the WooSox.

(Picture of Danny Santana: Adam Glanzman/Getty Images)

Author: Brendan Campbell

Blogging about the Boston Red Sox since April '17. Also support Tottenham Hotspur.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s