UPDATE: Cora has been cleared to manage Tuesday’s game after making it through MLB’s COVID-19 protocols. He is already at Fenway Park, per The Boston Globe’s Julian McWilliams.
Red Sox manager Alex Cora’s status for Tuesday’s game against the Blue Jays at Fenway Park had been in question due to COVID-19 protocols, he told reporters (including MassLive.com’s Chris Cotillo) on Tuesday afternoon.
Cora, who just recently arrived at Fenway Park for Tuesday night’s contest against Toronto, “[was] optimistic he will be cleared to join the team before game time,” per Cotillo.
That being the case because the Sox skipper took a COVID-19 test over the weekend — or maybe even on Monday — that came back positive, but has since been ruled a false or non-infectious positive test.
“Some testing didn’t go the way it should have gone,” Cora said Tuesday. “I’ve been tested for the last 24 hours and things are trending in the right direction. One more hurdle and everything should be fine. I can tell you right now, I’m not sick.”
Cora received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine right before the Red Sox departed Fort Myers for Boston late last month. He is slated to get the second dose of the vaccine on Wednesday, while other players and coaches will be receiving their first dose.
Had Cora not been cleared in time to manage Tuesday’s game at Fenway, that responsibility would have fallen to bench coach Will Venable. But again, Cora had been confident that he would be given the all-clear before 7:10 p.m. eastern time, and he was.
“I’m good. We’re just waiting for one more step on protocol,” said Cora. “I’m healthy. I’m not sick. There was a situation last night so we have to go through the whole thing. We’re just waiting for one more step and hopefully, I can be at Fenway.”
(Picture of Alex Cora: Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)